Monday 15 April 2013

America, Rome and when Pride Hurts

It was one of those Tuesdays with Morrie moments, except it was a Sunday. I was invited by a philosophy prof. and mentor to see a Titian exihibit and parts of Rome I hadn't seen before. Tuesdays with Morrie, a book I had read in 6th grade, tells the story of a pupil going to consult his college philosophy prof., Morrie. Morrie is a Socrates figure. He takes the place of the sage in the life of the author, whose name escapes my memory, reminding him of life's purpose and direction in the midst of unemployment and confusion.

bust of Socrates


As we drew closer to the metro entrance I saw an advertisement that I didn't think I'd come across. It was an advertisement of Scary Movie 5. The memories of wasting my childhood on movies such as this (I watched the first one) came to mind and if in those years the film quality was at best "questionable". The movie in question is now no better with a washed-out cast including Charlie Sheen, Snoop Dog, and other middle-age no shows.

Scary Movie 5

I said in a whisper that I didn't think prof. Socrates would hear, "I used to be proud of being an American...there are times when I am embarrassed."

He replied in Italian as usual, without a moments hesitation, in his courtly French accent, "Now, don't forget that the United States saved the world's freedom twice, once from Hitler, another time from Stalin..."


I coiled back...

What is it that the United States can offer a depressed Europe and World not so Flat in today's day and age?

Having spent quite a bit of time in Europe thus far I was reminded that at times Europeans think we Americans are Extraterrestrials...but beyond the facade of Fortune 500, Fastfood, and US Firepower is the fact that a few men several hundred years ago crossed the Atlantic in search of a place where they could find Religious Freedom.

After hearing about the case of Mother Teresa's Nuns being kicked out of a soup kitchen in Miami for not having "proper licenses" (I didn't know you needed one). I feel that the US is beginning to forget the heart of its own message within its own borders. In a world where 72% of the world's population continues without substantial religious liberties (Pew Research) I feel that the singlemost powerful contribution that the Land of the Brave can offer is exactly that, RELIGIOUS FREEDOM.

This Friday I will be attending my first TED talk. The TEDx that has been organized has as its theme: Religious Freedom Today. Speakers include: a Priest, a Nun, an Astronomer, a Sociologist, an NBA player, and a singer, Gloria Estefan. I hope I can garner knowledge from the various speakers at hand and see what it is that we can learn from voices from different continents, religions and cultures.

 

If you have nothing to do and happen to be next to the Vatican...you're invited. Otherwise check it out on youtube..


PS: Good News, the Nuns were let back in the Soup Kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment