Sunday 19 May 2013

To Hold my Author

I was first in line. To my right stood the 1700 year-old baptistery, behind me a line of over a hundred Brothers and behind them the beautiful mosaic-copy of Raphael's Transfiguration. To my left, as if in the distance, the Pietà, carved by Michaelangelo, maybe the most beautiful statue of Mary holding our Lord's lifeless body in her arms. Serenity, Love, Faith.

Before Mass

Before me stood open the famous (or infamous) "Door of Death". Nevertheless, In my hands I held the most important message of all, Life itself. With the immense crowds united at St. Peter's to celebrate the Eucharist the Holy See surprisingly requested seminarians to help give out Communion. Over two hundred Legionaries helped give communion in what seemed like the episode of the multiplication of the loaves. Walking into the Chapel where the Bl. Sacrament I discovered ciboria, not one or five but more like 200 with hosts waiting to be distributed.

I've had the chance to give the Eucharist several times often feeling so unworthy (other times not 'feeling' a thing) but nothing compared to waiting in line as the Celebration outside reached beyond the Consecration to step out into the Plaza and give the Body of Christ to the Mystical Body, his Church. I felt like a brand-new dad holding his brand-new son stepping outside. But in this case it was the Author of the Universe letting me hold Him in my hands.


Pope Francis during the Homily (B. Meza-photgraph)

Today the Pope gathered the many Ecclesial Movements and associations, everything from Opus Dei to the Charismatic Renewal, Marian prayer groups to my own Regnum Christi. The Church is Alive. You could not deny it seeing the 200,000+ people in the Plaza. I asked myself, What is the message here? Why was I asked to give Communion Pentecost Day? I have a feeling the message was to be sent by the Holy Spirit to share the Beauty of our Lord, as we should always do.

I can't wait to do it again...I guess I have all a life ahead of me for that.

PS: The Marian Pilgrimage was wonderful. I hope I can share some of those experiences soon. I carried your prayers with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment