Saturday 11 July 2015

Day 3: Bethlehem

So I got to visit the place where Jesus was born today. It's located under the Palestinian Authority just as Bethany is. Take bus 231 from the Damascus Gate and you're there within an hour. Once there everyone in Bethlehem is trying to give you a taxi ride to the Nativity Church. Once in the  6th Century Church built atop of the 4th Century Church you discover an overcrowded assembly with people trying to take selfies.

 

My Pilgrim group and I hunkered down in a corner of the "Grotto" at the floor level and prayed. We praised God for taking Flesh with such great humility and selflessness.

 

Afterwards we visited "The Shepherd's Field". In reality just about all real estate was "Shepherds' Fields". We spent an hour there to ponder the happenings there. Hanni, our taxi driver got us back to the bus station without issue. In my mind I could see the Shepherds leaving behind their sheep and livelihood to meet up with the Messiah that had just been born.

 

 

 

Later on I made some purchases in and around the Damascus Gate. Delicious Hummus, a big pack of water, and my favorite bread at the Muslim side of town.

 

We visited the Bethesda Pool and considered the ailing man from John 5. 38 Years of life in pain taken away through Jesus' Love and Mercy. In the Temple He meets the ailing man and shows him his identity at the risk of his own life.

 

 

Later on a walk through the Kidron Valley I got to enjoy time for prayer off on my own among olive trees. I considered camping there the next time I came to Israel instead of paying rent.

 

Lord,

I offer you this unworthiest of hearts. Grant that I, as the Shepherds, find a place close to you and rejoice each day of our lives to have you so near. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment