Sunday 12 July 2015

Day 4: From Jerusalem to Galilee

With a 6am start my morning was filled with movement. I got ready to leave the place I had called home for the previous three days. The view that it afforded as I literally 'looked' down on the Dome of the Rock was beautiful.

 

Machine generated alternative text:

 

After early morning Mass at the Holy Sepulchre which I fervently enjoyed I breakfasted with Pierre Loup who showed me the way to my home.

 

Corinna, the German contemplative, perpetually found at the Holy Sepulchre gave me a gift as I said "good bye". Some people amaze you with their sense of calm prayer. Se was one of them.

 

Off I was after breakfast back to the Kidron Valley and in the Garden of Gethsemani then up to the Mount of Ascension. The chapel of the Ascension. Today Muslims own the property of the Chapel so I it was a sober entry despite the fact that I was very much alone but in the presence of a a wonderful Czech priest.

Machine generated alternative text:

 

We continued on to Bethphage where Jesus began his Triumphal walk into Jerusalem before His Death. The majority Arab town was not very interesting but I enjoyed the time any way.

 

Next I crossed the way back through Jerusalem towards the Central Bus Station. Alan, a Clevelander, joined in on the march to the Bus Station and we enjoyed that time together. He explained how his Jewish Faith brought him to Israel and later on to stay several years. He was enthusiastic about being Jewish in the Holy Land all while following the Cavs to through defeat by Golden State, c'est la vie.

 

Off to Nazareth I traveled by bus and I enjoyed the company once more of two of my friends. We pointed out the window towards what we thought to be Mt Tabor among other places. Meggido (aka "Armageddon") was a beautiful stretch.

 

I've been here in Nazareth for just a few hours. It's not the prettiest city but to know that Jesus spent thirty years or more of his life here is an impressive fact. I know that Jesus sancitified the daily life. He worked for his bread and butter. He "grew up" and became a man "growing in grace and wisdom" (Lk 2). I'm sure things are going to be beautiful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment